I found a new way to make your administrators life hell.
- Create an application mapping to a custom tags directory.
- Put a custom tag named “doSomething.cfm” in it.
- Create a ColdFusion page named doSomething.cfm in your application root.
- Call <cf_doSomething.cfm> in that page.
- Browse to that page.
- Watch your ColdFusion server die
I kinda feel like I shouldn’t bother with a bug report because, well, it was a pretty stupid thing for me to do. And in fairness, it won’t crash, it just can’t do anything while it’s processing that infinite loop.
3 thoughts on “Want to crash a CF server?”
This is where the CFMODULE tag is useful to disambiguate the exact location of the CFML custom tag.
That makes a lot of sense, Steven. I renamed, and moved on. But if I’m ever in the situation where I can’t I now know what to do.
thats why CF looks for custom tags in the caller dir by default before looking for them in the specified custom tags dir.
thats a stupid cf behavior. if it uses a default dir for customs, it oughta use it first.